Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



12/23/13





Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog






Wild At Heart


Looking back at my hopefuls for the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame, it seems that two of my picks are getting in this year. Peter Gabriel and KISS are joined by Cat Stevens, Linda Rondstant, Hall and Oates and Nirvana. I can't say I'm over-surprised by Nirvana but I am by the other three. While good artists, it is hard for me to put them in over groups like the Zombies, Deep Purple and Yes who seem to really embody rock N roll, thus proving the Hall is more of a music Hall of Fame than purely rock N roll. With Nirvana, I recognize that they made alternative more appealing to the commercial market, had some good songs and propelled the idea of the slacker generation. Still, I have never been a huge fan of them musically but they seem to have cemented themselves in musical history like another short lived band, the Sex Pistols, who also influenced music and culture despite few actual albums. I was also excited to see the E Street Band get in under the Musical Excellence category. In 2012, the Hall worked to get backing bands like the Crickets, Miracles, Famous Flames and the Comets in but the E Street Band while more recent had some great talented musicians that have done a great job both backing Bruce Springsteen, and many others, and additionally having some great individual accomplishments themselves.

Well, I hope you have a great Holiday weekend and here are some upcoming concerts to enjoy:

Thursday (12/26) - Hard Lessons @ St Andrews Hall

Friday (12/27) - Styx @ Ceasars Windsor, Trans-Siberian Orchestra @ Palace of Auburn Hills, Suicide Machines and Black Dahlia Murder w/ Mustard Plug and Koffin Kats @ Majestic Theatre, Verve Pipe @ Loving Touch

Saturday (12/28) - Maze feat Frankie Beverly @ Detroit Opera House, Hellen opens for South Normal @ Magic Bag

I'll leave you with a performance by Youn Sun Nah who was responsible for my favorite concert performance of the year as she played 2 popular sold out shows at the Rochester Jazz Fest. This is a beautiful rendition of "My Favorite Things"which you might recognize from the 'Sound Of Music'. Have a happy holiday season.


Have a Merry Christmas!!