Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



1/27/13

An Interview with LMFAO’s DJ Dainjazone



When it comes to prime DJing gigs, one of the best would have to be playing alongside those partying and dancing rock stars, LMFAO. You’d get to travel around the world, meet celebrities, play on TV, etc.  The tough part would be to not let it go to your head and get carried away with the partying leaving the aspirations you had when you started far behind. Earlier this week I got the chance to talk with DJ Dainjazone, who actually is the DJ for LMFAO and found out the position doesn’t go to your head and you don’t lose yourself if the music remains in your heart.

MCB: What was the first record you bought with your own money?
Dainjazone:  It was a record by Caution called “What You Want to Do?” I believe that was on Ice Cube’s Lynch Mob label. I bought that off ebay and it was a big west coast hip hop hit. I wasn’t thinking about DJing yet I just wanted that record.
MCB:  Did you start out on turntables?
Dainjazone: I was so big on hip hop I wanted to represent one of the elements and DJing was what I could do. I started off on CDJs then turntables which I thought was more true to hip hop. But now it’s all lap tops or a USB stick into the CDJ.
MCB: What do you think separates you as a DJ?
Dainjazone: Well, I don’t like to compare myself to other DJs, I’ll leave that up to critics and other people writing the checks. I just focus on myself and try and stay ahead of the curve by coming up with new ideas. It’s easy to get swallowed up in the touring life, just put your gear in neutral and coast. It’s challenging to stay on top of music and see what’s going to be the next thing or maybe even create what the next sound is going to be. I take what I do seriously. Every time I come home I try and create something new and have a new DJ set. I like the challenge.
MCB: What’s your life like today compared to 5 years ago?
Dainjazone: 5 years ago I was running around party gigs trying to get bigger gigs and private events in Universal Studios Citywalk. It was nothing to take home but it was a nice check when I did it. I was every bit about setting up equipment, breaking it all down into the wee hours of the night. I was doing everything that I could to DJ and earn some money.
MCB: What got you to that next level?
Dainjazone – It was a lot of little things. If you do anything successfully, you build by making relationships and over time this person you meet knows that person and so on. It all came to fruition and contributed to getting me to where I’m at right now.

MCB: And that was working with LMFAO?
Dainjazone: Well I was on my way before that. I was playing clubs around the US. Getting the gig with LMFAO was like Supermario getting a super mushroom, it just took me to another level. It cranked things up a couple notches and I haven't turned it down since.
MCB: How many shows do you think you played in 2012?
Dainjazone: Well, I’ve been working the last 7-8 months, about 3-4 shows a week, so let’s say close to 80 shows. We didn’t do any shows in September, but we did the Party Rock Takeover shows. We played North America, Europe, Asia, and Russia.  South America might be the only continent we didn’t hit.
MCB: How do you survive the constant hotel and living on the bus?
Dainjazone: You learn to adapt. We spent some time off the tour bus which was nice. Even though there is a bed on the tour bus, it’s nice to get off and be in a regular bed. I don’t mind the different hotels at all. There’s some excitement to a new hotel and seeing your new surroundings for the next day.
MCB: Tell me about working with LMFAO…
Dainjazone: I knew they were party guys, they were known around LA always playing somewhere. You got used to seeing them around. I got to know them before I started playing with them. What struck me was how musically intelligent they are. It blows me away how they put their work together. But, they are as much party animals today as they were the first day I met them.
When I first went out with LMFAO we did club songs, like “I’m in Miami Bitch” they came up making money in the clubs. Then when they put out “Party Rock Anthem,” it just became so universal, from old women to kids, everyone loved it. It spoke to everybody and broke the barriers. “Sexy and I Know It” was genius and silly, because everyone knew not to take it serious. The fan base is incredible.
MCB : Any crazy stories to share?
Dainjazone: It just amazes me how much they go out of their way to dress the part, look like the crew and be a party rock soldier. Some of the things the buy and wear, and some don’t even come from Party Rock Clothing.com. It’s stuff they go out and make, I’m always impressed. There’s guys in speedos.
We have these Party Rock Takeovers which is like an LMFAO show minus Reddfoo. So we got all they Party Rock dancers out there doing their routines. We bring the crowd more into it. It’s probably one of the best parties I’ve seen. There’s confetti blasts and blow up animals being tossed around. 
MCB: You have a podcast you keep your mixes on?
Dainjazone: Yeah the podcast gives me a chance to reach out to the people and let them know what I’m working on and what’s new in the music world. A lot of friends tell me they don’t know what’s new until they hear a podcast from me. I’ve been slacking on the podcast, not because I’m lazy but I’ve been working on some new ideas on my mixes. 
You can keep up with DJ Dainjazone by subscribing to his podcast and checking out his soundcloud.


This Post by Mikel O.D. of