Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



12/12/11

Wild At Heart

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog









Wild At Heart


Here in Rochester we just had our first snow of the year though it didn’t last long. Of course it happened on my day off which is annoying because I had plans to go to Buffalo but at least I didn’t have to drive to work. I did end up going to Buffalo one day early after work to visit the beautiful O’Shea Theatre and watch the ‘Addams Family Musical’ which had some beautiful sets. I wasn’t overly sold on the music or plot but it had enough going on to make it enjoyable. I do recommend watching the old TV series if you can find it.




Other than that, it has been a pretty boring week though I did discover the joy of Google ebooks. I have been looking for some early science fiction books from the 1800’s (like William Stephens Hayward’s “The Cloud King” and “The Triumph Of Women” by Charles Rowcroft) and found most of them online for free. Not totally sold on reading books online since my eyes don’t like reading off the screens for more than an hour at a time which sucks for a long novel, but it is cool I don’t have to put down $2,000 for a book I just want to read once. Still, it is nice to know one can find stuff like this (the Gutenburg Project is another great website for early books that are past their copyright status). Some books on Google are just a few chapters which can lead to disappointment when the novels are hard to find (like those Iceberg Slim novels I’d like to read but no library seems to own).

Not much else going on, so I’m just getting ready for the holidays by trying to hit a few themed events here and there like this living nativity.

Living Nativity

Luckily I had all my shopping done months ago so I can avoid the malls.

If you are looking for something to do this week, here are a few shows I would recommend:



Wednesday (12/14) – Delbert McClinton @ The Ark


Thursday (12/15) – Nick Moss & the Flip Tops @ PJ’s (Ann Arbor), Mike McCourt Memorial featuring Stewart Francke @ Callahans


Friday (12/16) – Harper @ Rochester Mills Brewing, Verve Pipe @ Magic Bag, Five Finger Death Punch @ Compuware Arena


Saturday (12/17) – Koffin Kats @ Small’s, Rise Against & Taking Back Sunday @ Fillmore, Trans-Siberian Orchestra @ Palace Of Auburn Hills, Harper @ Canadian Blues South Museum (Windsor), Devil Wears Prada @ Royal Oak Music Theatre, Alexander Zonjic @ Crofoot


Sunday (12/18) – Morrissey @ Royal Oak Music Theatre, Celtic Women @ MSU Auditorium, Craig Owens @ Pike Room






I was going to try and find some crazy Christmas song from Dr Demento or something like that but next to “The Grinch”, my favorite Christmas tune is “The Little Drummer Boy” so here are the Celtic Women performing this awesome song.







I couldn't find a Morrissey Christmas song.