Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



8/8/11

Show Preview: Identity Festival Friday, Aug 12 DTE


This Friday, Identity Festival will be hitting Detroit Energy Theater with a flash of electronics, lights and searing sounds. Over 20 artists will perform on three stages and it's the kind of show you might want to take your clone to because you'll want to be in more than one place at the same time. I'll be doing at least one more preview on the show highlight a couple of the lesser known acts but I thought I should devote this post to the bigger names at the show.
On the Skullcandy mainstage, Kaskade is one of the main acts, and while I'm not that familiar with Kaskade, I have heard some of his brilliant and beautiful melodies from "Strobelight Seduction". I also heard his performance was one of the best from the Electric Forest Festival. The Disco Biscuits are another band on the main stage, that I actually saw from a distance playing at the Crofoot sometime this past Spring. I was really impressed with their blissful long takes on songs that ranged from deep psychedelic to dub and back to trance.
Moving to the Rockstar stage, a couple of my favorite electronic acts of all time are playing. The last time I saw the Crystal Method was back before the turn of the century (yes that long ago) in Pontiac. They put on a crazy energetic set and from their last album, "Divided by Night", I have to say they still play some absolutely fine electronic music. I'm also intrigued to see DJ Shadow, who seems to have been keeping himself in the shadows for the last few years, that said, "Endtroducing" remains one of my favorite albums of all time and I'm especially curious to see what he can pull off for a live performance.
On the Advent Stage are the up and coming acts. I can tell you to keep your eye out for LA Riots as they have put together some of the best remixes of my favorite indie pop songs.
I'm going to try and get lots of sleep Thursday, because I can tell you I'm in for one hell of a show on Friday.
This Post by Mikel O.D. of