Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



7/9/11

Wild At Heart - Davina & the Vagabonds

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog

Wild At Heart


Recently was down at Dinosaur Barbecue catching the band Davina & the Vagabonds who came all the way from the Twin Cities, Minnesota. Davina has a style that reminds me of those old 1930's cartoons (a la Bettie Boop and other jazz oriented shorts) with a throaty retro voice and the band plays a nice compliment to it. The group has supported such artists as Los Lonely Boys, Aaron Neville and Pinetop Perkins and while the closest they will be in the Detroit area is an Aug 4th show at the Beaver Island Community Center, they are a group that jazz club enthusiasts should enjoy. Here are some pictures from the show.


Davina & the Vagabonds


Davina and drummer


Vagabonds


Davina's trumpeter


Davina & trumpet


Davina snarls


Davina sways


Davina gets a megaphone


Davina in the middle


Davina nice shoes


Davina side shot w/bass


Davina smiles


Davina and horn section


Here they are performing their original song "Pocket"



Also, a number of weeks ago I had a picture of my garden after I planted it. I was taking some pictures to show my aunt and I thought I would post them here to show everyone how green my thumb can be. It really is cool having a garden since after years of renting, most apartment complexes look down at planting gardens.


New garden pics


nuthatch in garden


crazy bird


Hope you enjoyed these. I got pictures of my concert trip to Lockport coming up with a couple of local bands and the great Burton Cummings. While Burton isn't playing near Detroit, his band, the Guess Who will be playing down by the Ren Cen on July 15th. I also got some nice pictures of the locks which I wrote a bit about last year when I saw Tears for Fears in the same town. Later!