Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



5/26/10

MCB is Detroit Techno - with exclusives from Kenneth Thomas and Jenny Lafemme

Detroit Techno is an early style of electronic music beginning in 1980s. Detroit has been cited as the birthplace of techno music. Prominent Detroit Techno artists include the legendary three: Juan Atkins, Derrick May (9-11pm Sunday, Movement Torino Stage), and Kevin Saunderson and the "newer" wave of the electronic dance music revolution, Stacey Pullen and Claude von Stroke.



A distinguishing trait of Detroit techno is the use of analog synthesizers and early drum machines, particularly the Roland TR-909, or, in later releases, the use of digital emulation to create the characteristic sounds of those machines. This year's MOVEMENT, or DEMF for those of you pre-2003, marks the 10th anniversary of Detroit's Electronic Music Festival. Artists from around the world including Plastikman, Booka Shade and John Acquaviva are in confirmed attendance, among many of the latest and greatest Detroit-bred DJs like John Johr, and some of my favorites, Kenneth Thomas and Jenny LaFemme.



JL gave MCB her piece on what it is to be not only a Detroit DJ with global ties, but what a the meaning of this music in the city of Detroit really is.

"This is probably the biggest dream come true for any dj that is from Detroit... no matter how much I travel and play other places ... MOVEMENT is the most special one you can play ... it's here in Detroit... it's a beautiful celebration of music and our city that I love so much... I have been to every single one of the festivals and still remember the first one as one of the most special moments that game me goosebumps as people embraced the culture of the music that has influenced people all over the world....as far as my set this perhaps has been the biggest challenge that I have faced as a performer ... I have to try to fit in everything I have to say and feel in 90 min ... if you know me you know that i play different genres of electronic music... so this weekend will be filled with after parties that will display especially that on Saturday Morning we are doing "Girls On Top" @ Eros Lounge showcasing female talent from all over the world I will be dropping a sexy afterhours set there ... Sunday I will go from playing with Ron Trent at Bookie's to playing latenight Techno @ Metroplex 25 event... and Monday on Stage will be the culmination of it all that comes together ... hopefully I will not get too emotional about it ... I am a girl afterall :) I am also very excited by all my global friends visiting me this weekend from Russia to Mexico to Japan they will all be here and i am proud to host them at our event...we will also be shooting a TV program for Russian Entertainment Chanel cover the festival in depthas well as i am excited to promo out my house track that will soon be released"

I recently asked KT to give us some insight into his set for this weekend and his perspective on the current state of EDM.

"For my festival set I am going to lean a bit more towards what the DEMF is about in my set. Expect to hear a lot of tech-house, techy edged progressive and even alittle techno. I wont be playing anything that I dont normally carry with me but I just wont be veering into much or trancey stuff for my actually festival set. Although, fans can still expect to hear an emotionally edge set with lots of energy.




I will however open my set back to the more progressive and maybe even trancier sounds at the Exodus afterparty later that night in Greektown.

Thats actually the beauty of dance music right now. There is such a wide variety of music these days that good djs are pulling from all genres to form a style and set that is 100% their own. You will hear
Richie Hawtin play records that Oakenfold is playing yet the two djs will play and place those same records differently to create a completely new energy and vibe with that record. Its not much less about the "genre" of any one record but more about the vibe and energy of a djs whole set that truly defines them.

And bottomline is, we are still djs, our job is to play the perfect set for that time, place, vibe and crowd, all within our own respective sounds. Zeroing in on that perfect energy and journey for that moment in time is what its all about. Its a piece of improve art that we all share in simultaneously."


Check out Kenneth Thomas Saturday from 5-6:30 on the Movement Torino Stage and Jenny Lafemme Monday from 3:30-5 on the Made In Detroit Stage.

KT and JL will join over 100 other artists along with us here at MCB in Hart Plaza this weekend because MCB IS DETROIT TECHNO!